Just like your skin, your scalp can become dry, irritated, itchy and sensitive. This can be due to a number of reasons including hormonal changes, aging, stress, eczema and psoriasis. It can also be a result of using harsh cosmetic products or being exposed to environmental pollutants.
Irritated Scalp Causes & Triggers
When bombarded with irritants such as pollution or stress, your scalp can become acutely sensitive. This can make your scalp feel tight, itchy, dry, sore and flaky. It may also lead to an over-production of sebum as your body tries to counteract the dryness. If the balance of your scalp’s flora becomes upset you may also experience dandruff. This is caused by the overproduction of micro-organisms.
Irritated Scalp Treatments
You may like to try the following tips to soothe an irritated scalp:
- Soothe the scalp and increase comfort by using an appropriate moisturiser or spray. This will immediately alleviate discomfort and add hydration to the scalp.
- Use only gentle shampoos and conditioners, particularly if you wash your hair every day, so as not to strip the scalp of its natural oils.
- Reduce your use of chemical-based styling products and heated styling appliances too. This will give your hair and scalp a rest and give it the best chance to reestablish balance.
- Make sure you have a balanced diet that includes lots of water, fruit, vegetables and essential fatty acids such as the omega oils found in some nuts and oily fish.
- Try not to wear hats or helmets for a prolonged amount of time. This may cause friction on the scalp and may agitate it further.
- When swimming, wear a swimming cap so as to prevent chlorinated water from causing further irritation.
Download Irritated Scalp PDF
Back to Skin Conditions